Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: UA-125257650-2 Copy of PRIMARY & SECONDARY EDUCATION | Blue Education



School education in Australia includes preschool, preparatory (or kindergarten), primary school, secondary school (or high school) and senior secondary school (or college).

Schooling lasts for 13 years in Australia, from preparatory to senior secondary.  Schooling is compulsory until at least the age of 16.

Schools in Australia may be classified as either government or non-government schools. Government schools are the direct responsibility of the Director-General of Education (or equivalent) in each state or territory and receive funding from the relevant state or territory government. Non-government schools can be further classified, based on self-identification of the school’s affiliation. Non-government schools are grouped for reporting as Catholic (including Catholic affiliated independent schools) or independent (other non-government schools, including Anglican). Non-government schools operate under conditions determined by state and territory government regulatory authorities and receive funding from the Australian Government and relevant state or territory government (source:

Primary Education
Pre-Year 1 to Year 6/7
Primary education starts when a child turns six years of age. Students will usually have one teacher for most of the school day and specialist teachers for subjects such as music, art, drama and religious studies.

The primary school curriculum integrates skills, knowledge and understanding in 8 learning areas:


  • English/Literacy

  • Mathematics/Numeracy

  • Science

  • Technology and Enterprise

  • Arts

  • Society and Environment

  • Health and Physical Education

  • Languages other than English (LOTE)

Secondary Education 
Lower Secondary School
Years 8-10
Students focus on the same eight learning areas as Primary students, but with greater diversity in electives and subject choice.
Upper Secondary School
Years 11-12
Students can elect to study subjects that will prepare them for future study or their chosen career. Specific subject areas are taught by teachers with specialist qualifications.  In Year 12, students sit for a major tertiary entrance examination to receive an official certificate of qualification.  The name of this certificate varies within Australia's state-based education systems but regardless of what the certificate is called, it is recognised by all Australian universities, higher education and vocational education and training institutions, as well as many institutions internationally.


International Student (Under 18) Requirement 

The Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP) requires that students under the age of 18 to have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements whilst studying in Australia.

It is a condition of a Student Visa that these arrangements be maintained, and failure to do so can result in visa cancellation.

International students under the age of 18 must satisfy the following criteria before visa application documentation can be issued:-

  • must have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements in place prior to applying for a student visa;

  • arrangement must be approved by the institute enrolled; and

  • arrangement must be maintained for the duration of enrollment plus seven days, or until the student turns 18.

Students under 18 when they begin studying at an institute have 2 to 3 options for their accommodation and welfare arrangements.


Acceptable living arrangements


Scenario one

The student lives with a parent or eligible relative who is over the age of 21 and of good character.

This arrangement must be approved by DIBP and will not require a confirmation of ‘appropriate accommodation and welfare’ (CAAW) letter from the applied institute.

Further information on student guardian visas can be found on the DIBP’s website

Scenario two

The student lives in one of the approved institute’s student residences on-campus (if available).

This option requires the institute to provide a CAAW letter to DIBP as part of the student visa application process.

Scenario three

We represent you to organise accommodation with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) and guardianship arrangements with either Professional Student Care Australia or the International Student Alliance Student Care & Welfare Services. The student is responsible for any fees and costs associated with these arrangements. This option will require the institute to provide a CAAW letter to DIBP as part of the student visa application.