How do I decide on what career choice/ pathway?
How do you decide on what career choice/ pathway that best suits you?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Do you see yourself still at school or just starting out in the working world? If you can anticipate that, then you should already have a plan in place. If you don’t, then there are some fundamental questions in which you should attempt to answer to help you identify some of the areas of interests.
What are my interests? Am I the creative type? Do I like working indoors or in the outdoors? Do I like working with data and details or do I like working with people?
What are my strongest subjects in high school?
What are some of my favourite subjects in high school?
Do I see myself in a particular role/ job function in the future?
What matters to me most in the future?
Taking you back to your current position, you need to have a checklist on what matters most to you?
- Autonomy in making decision and planning for an outcome.
- Work-life balance with adequate importance placed on mental health and wellbeing.
- Financially rewarding career that incentivizes hard work and over-achievements.
- Working with intelligent and motivating teams that are supportive and extends the boundaries of learning.
- Working in a challenging environment i.e., able to solve complex problems and learn new skills
- Able to create, build or develop products and services that can have a positive impact on people’s lives.
- Working with people and an organisation that shares the same mission and value system that you believe in.
If you are still unable to narrow down the list to the top 3 roles/ occupations for yourself in the future, have a chat with your school counsellor or someone from our office.
Remember, do not be overwhelmed with having to make a decision instantly. There are many factors that can affect your decision to choose a career path that best suits you. As a student, it is not easy and that is why you should discuss your options with others and research on the options.
Career quizzes can be helpful. You can go on to these sites if you wish to explore: https://www.yourcareer.gov.au/
Most of these sources will leverage on your past qualifications, interests, and work experience.
Once you are able to figure out what you want to do in the future, it is easier for you to then decide on what programme and pathway you’d like to pursue after high school.
Hope the above helps. If not, get in touch with us at email@example.com and we can arrange a counsellor to assist you. All the best!