top of page
  • Writer's pictureBlue Education

What is an acceptable financial evidence for an Australian student visa application?

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will require evidence of your financial capacity, you must attach evidence to your visa application. DHA may refuse your visa without asking you for more information if you don't provide at the time of application. So, to be safe rather than sorry, provide the evidence that Home Affairs requires! But the question is, how much is enough?


The minimum you need to show of your financial capacity is as follows:

(A) 12 months of your course fee; +

(B) Living costs; +

(C) Overseas Health Student Cover (OSHC) for your entire course duration; +

(D) Travel Costs.


(A) Course fee

Use the first 12 months of your course fees. If your course is 12 months or less, use the total cost. Deduct any costs you have already paid – you must provide evidence you have paid them, such as a receipt or Confirmation of Enrolment.


(B) Living costs

The minimum amount of money for living costs for purpose of the visa that is submitted to DHA is updated on their website.  Actual living costs vary throughout Australia and may be much higher than what you need for the visa. 


(C) Overseas Health Student Cover (OSHC) 

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is your health insurance while you are in Australia on a Student Visa and is needed before you apply for your Student Visa. It is a requirement to have OSHC for the entire length of your Student Visa and if you need to apply for a new Student Visa, you must extend your health insurance before applying. Failure to do so will result in the refusal of your visa application.


(D) Travel Costs

As a guide, when you calculate how much money you need, include:

  • AUD2,500 for travel costs if you are applying from East or Southern Africa

  • AUD3,000 for travel costs if you are applying from West Africa

  • AUD2,000 for travel costs if you are applying from anywhere else outside Australia 

  • AUD1,000 for travel costs if you are applying in Australia. If you will be returning to Africa include AUD1,500.

What can be used as evidence of financial capacity?






Tune in to our next blog!


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page